Monday, June 29, 2009


Looks like it's time for me to re-start packing. I hesitated to say anything about the contract that was executed late Thursday night for the sale of my house. But the inspections are scheduled for tomorrow. I am hoping that since these people are making an investment in that kind of expense, they will be less likely to flake out on me. Or so I hope...I am keeping fingers, toes, eyes, and everything else crossed.

Tentative closing date is July 24th.

My sanity can't take much more of this roller coaster ride...

Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Will this ever end?

We spent the weekend at my parent's house celebrating my dad's birthday. It was a really great time. On Saturday, we went to eat and listen to a band that my uncle plays in. On the way there, Hubby got a phone call from the monitoring service for our house alarm. They said that the smoke detectors were going off and wanted to know if they should dispatch the fire department. Since we were 200 miles away, we told them to go ahead. Subsequent emails and phone calls revealed that the monitoring service mis-read the code. It was the motion detectors - not the smoke detectors. Apparently the alarm had not been disarmed before a real estate agent came by to show the house. They tripped the alarm. Way to scare off potential buyers, right?

Well, Sunday morning we got a call rescheduling the showing from the day before. Persistent people!

Monday morning I found a feedback response in my email inbox. The message at the bottom said "we have written an offer and will forward it to you today"! WOO HOO! I guess maybe they were impressed by the security or the fast response of the fire department...don't know...don't care...


We sent over counter-offer for just a little more money, but we sweetened the deal with the fridge, deep freeze, and all of the window coverings.

Now we wait to hear back...

The "Red River house" is moving closer and closer to my grasp...

UPDATE: The offer from yesterday has now been withdrawn. The husband decided he didn't like the backyard. We are back to square one. I'm tired of this roller coaster...

Friday, June 05, 2009

And now...the REST of the story

So here's what is going on in our little world...and a followup to my last post.

On Thursday 5/28 we had the inspection scheduled for the new house. We paid for a detailed inspection as well as a termite inspection. A Br.inks guy was there also to give us an idea of what needed to be done to the security system. Everything looks great, we pay everyone, and we head to work.

Friday was our regular day off, and we took AJ to Brenham to the Blue.Bell creamery tour and to make pizzas at a friend's pizza place.

When we pulled into the parking lot, Hubby checked his email and found a message in his inbox "Termination of Contract paperwork". Please tell me I am having a nightmare! The buyer on our house was backing out of the contract AND wanted her $1,000 in earnest money back. She had apparently decided to move out of the country. Seriously? You didn't know this before you started jerking around other families?

Anyway, I had complete meltdown in the parking lot. For three days, I could not even think about the situation without crying. We were suddenly faced with having to find another buyer in 7 days, or lose the option on the perfect house. Need I remind you, a perfect house that we had already spent quite a bit of money on...

Our current house was put back active on the market. Of course, I had already started packing boxes for the move, so we are no where near "show ready."

On Monday, Hubby got a phone call from the appraiser, who did NOT follow the orders he was given, and who was looking for another $350 for the appraisal on the new house. When asked why he didn't call to schedule it with us like he was told, his response was "I don't have to. I don't work for you." Well, then, buddy, I suggest you talk to the people you DO work for to get your money, because I'm not giving you a penny!

I also contacted the listing agent on the sale of our house and told her we were refusing the sign the release of the earnest money to the lady backing out of her contract.

You see, she is claiming her "unrestricted right to terminate for any reason within 10 days of the execution date of the contract." Well, read the rest of that paragraph, lady, and you will see that you only get that right if you paid us the $100 option fee within TWO days after signing. We didn't get the fee until FOUR days after. So sorry - no money for you...

So last night, there is a knock on our door. It was the "terminated buyer's" agent (who lives down the street. He wanted to talk to us to see if we would split the earnest money with the backed-out buyers. Apparently, the buyer's mother got sick in Vietnam and she went back to stay with her. The Buyer's husband is still wanting to buy our house for his father to live in. But they may not be back from Vietnam for another couple of months. The agent explained that they really want to buy our house when they get back. He seemed to be playing the pity card because the lady's mother is sick. Sorry...I have compassion for you...but I also am out a lot of money that needs to be reimbursed.

So as of today, this is the situation. I have a couple of college friends who are real estate agents and have talked the owners of the new house to extend our option period until the end of July. I am terminating our agreement today with the agents who currently have our house listed because they don't seem to be willing to fight for us. We will then re-sign with our friends for both the sale of our house and the purchase of a new one.

In the meantime, we have bought a little more time to find another buyer...and I'm exhausted...mentally and physically...